Friday, January 22, 2016

Route Complex Pictures

Here is a couple of pictures of some of what we did. The truck you see in the third picture was our next assignment. They used my truck to pump down the hill to the hand crews.

The hose lay we put in earlier had a lateral hose every 200 feet. Each lateral had a 3/4 inch hose and a nozzle at the end of it. We call the 3/4 hose a toy hose. They use it to mop up the fire line.
Neighbor Fire

Kyle on the bubble

New show in town

Auxiliary Diesel Pump
We tried a gravity feed rather then run the pump. For one reason you don't need much pressure going downhill. The other reason is the pump is so noisy. It is hard to hear the radio when you are by the pump.

It was so steep the concern was of blowing hose. I wish I could say that didn't happen, but it did. Several hoses gave there all and died in a blaze of glory.

But after a little trial and error we got the gravity feed to work. All I had to do was open the drain valve. When I started running low on water I called a water tender and he came down the hill and topped me off.

The gravity worked until they completed the hose lay. All the way around the "Chance fire" was a total of four miles of hose. So there were times I had to fire up the pump and pump water all the way around. 

We did this for three days....

For the next installment of this fire I will cover the burn we prepped for and supported.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Love reading about what you do. Wish I could be there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Love reading about what you do. Wish I could be there

    ReplyDelete