Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Review: Asolo Fugitive GTX Hiking Boots

For my first review I wanted to show you a great pair of boots for backpacking, hiking ect. As you can see they are a great looking boot. Waterproof, Durable tough boots. The cost is $200 plus. If you shop around you can find some good deals. The boots in the picture are men's, however they have a women's boot as well.                                                                            
I wanted a pair of boots that would last a while. Of course cost was and usually is a factor. But more often then not you get what you pay for. You can spend a little or a lot and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But once you find a good brand you likely will stay with the same brand. That is where I am with these boots. I will buy them again.

I went into a large outdoor store in Portland Or. and said I wanted a good pair off boots.The salesman helped me look at several boots. Some I liked the looks and some not so much. I tried on several and then I went with my first impression. I liked these boots when I first saw them. I tried them on and they fit like a glove. "Wow" I thought. The salesman told me they would be uncomfortable for the breaking in period. I almost didn't buy them, but I decided to anyway. They just felt to good.

Pros: Very comfortable and durable. As you can see they look good. There was no breaking in period. That is unusual but until my next pair I will believe this is normal. I had no blisters hot spots ect. I could walk through creeks up to and over the top of my foot and my feet stayed totally dry. They last a long time. I bought my boots in 2005 and I am stilling wearing them in April 2012. Durability is exceptional. And I haven't been exactly easy on them. They have many miles on them.

Cons: Not many. The waterproofing only lasted 2-3 years. But what boots last any longer. The shoe strings don't last too long. I have went through many, many boot strings. Really there aren't any cons at all. I had to nit pick just to find a con at all.

As you can see they are well traveled.

Keep in mind I have had to do some repairs. I had to glue the sole back to the toe area. Other then boot strings that all the repairs I have needed to do.
Would I recommend these boots? Absolutely yes! The only recommendation I have is that you buy a good insole for any shoe you buy. You can look to spend from $20-40 for good insoles. But you won't regret it. I did buy a pair of insoles and immediately put them in these boots and they are still there. Still very comfortable. The bottom line is in this case you get more then what you pay for. So if you are looking for a good pair of boots don't pass these by. Give them a long hard look. You won't regret it.

Next review: Can you start a fire in the woods with out matches. What tools are the best alternative to matches.

2 comments:

  1. You are right about buying a good pair of hiking boots to start with. My wife has a pair of Asolo boots. I have a top grade boot of a different manufacture. They also fit my feet perfectly and are so comfortable. I also put Superfeet insoles in all my boots and athletic shoes. What a difference a good insole makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought my second pair after 5 years.. I think .. of daily use, did go through 2 pairs of laces and had to glue the toe, still great boots but got couldn't resist the sale price on some new ones at rei.

    ReplyDelete